An important addition to my holiday decorations
We just put up our Christmas tree...and we also JUST installed our new Kidde Carbon Monoxide Alarm. The folks at Kidde sent me a free alarm to install in my home to prove just how easy it is to do...and how valuable it is, particularly during the holidays. A fatal house fire occurs every three hours in America. And, more than 18,000 people are injured or die from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning every year. I started my career working for the American Red Cross and remember visiting families after they lost everything in a house fire. Unfortunately, most of those fires in our community occur during the holidays due to overpowering electrical outlets, space heaters, and candles left unattended.
These are very unfortunate statistics, and I am hoping you can take the time like I did to review these great tips to help shield your family from danger. Add these lists to your decorating list each holiday so you don't forget!
- Step 1 - Replace Smoke Alarms- every 10 years.
- Step 2 - Place Fire Extinguishers- within reach of every level of your home.
- Step 3 - Install Carbon Monoxide Alarms- on each floor and near bedrooms.
- Step 4 - Create an escape plan with your family.
- Step 5 - Commit to being a safety hero by taking the pledge at www.AlarmPledge.com.
Here are some awesome resources as well: