How my Tough Decisions Led to a BOOST in my Business
I just got back from my annual beach vacation with my family....reminiscing where I was exactly a year ago with my marketing business, Chispa Marketing. I was stuck. Really stuck.
I was working hellish hours and paying exorbitant expenses. My systems were flawed and I wasn't able to take on any new clients. I was a constant grouch and was unhappy but not really sure I could do anything about it.
Well, I did.
Last year's beach vacation turned into a business retreat for me. I analyzed what I really wanted and answered these tough questions:
- What do I need to do in order to be happy?
- If I started my business in search of flexibility and flexibility is the last thing I am getting, what the heck I am doing this for?
- What will I do with my employees?
- How will I tell my clients?
- What will people think?
I not only answered those, but I also took them on directly. I realized all these issues were the root of one thing: I WASN'T HAPPY.
I created a plan of action for what would be the boldest, most courageous, gutsiest business move I have ever made:
- I closed down my physical office.
- I offered my employees contractor positions.
- I fired clients that didn't value our work or it was just too tough to offer them good value for the small project we were working on with them.
- I re-examined my service offering and began carefully selecting my new clients.
- I created an amazing virtual team.
- I outlined exactly the type of work we would do and am sticking with very specific types of work and clients.
I am happier than ever! I work half the amount of time making the same amount of money. I savor my time with my family. I have no problem saying no to projects that are not what I like or want to do. Best of all, I take most Fridays off!
I tell this story not to flaunt these accomplishments, but to empower you. 2012 was one of the toughest years for me in business. And somehow, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I really thought of myself as a failure, a total loser, and a nobody. But I realized that if I conjured up the courage, I would be okay.
I am not only okay, I am better than ever.
I was able to get through this tough time because I was a part of a phenomenal mastermind group. Masterminds are one of the most powerful ways to grow your business because you are sharing with like-minded entrepreneurs who all want to see each other succeed.
So, what are the tough questions in your business that need answering? What are you waiting for?
I am proud to announce that I've partnered with serial entrepreneur, my good friend, and total business bad ass Ralph Quintero to develop Boost Mastermind. We have both grown small businesses and understand what it takes to live a life with purpose, truly enjoying freedom, flexibility, and fortune. We're offering a full-day of masterminding with a small group of entrepreneurs on August 8 in Miami.
Hope to see you on August 8 and look forward to BOOSTing your business!